I wake up at 6:30 to the alarm clock, but I’m out like a light again before my head hits the pillow. Since I’m taking a Summer Friday, I don’t have to go to the office and I’m certainly taking advantage of it. Monica and I sleep in until about 7:30. We watch some King of Queens and then I bring her to work. We’re going to be going to her company picnic later and it will just be a helluva lot easier if I drive her to work and pick her up later than to take separate cars and such.

I return to the apartment and relax a bit. I watch 8 1/2 which I’m told is a fantastic film about filmmaking. I thought it was alright, but I think I feel the same way about this film as I did with M. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

After the movie, I write up the blog for yesterday and then head out to pick up Monica around 12:30. We then head over to Glen Island Park in New Rochelle, arriving around 1 (after only getting turned around once!). I meet a bunch of her co-workers and then sit and chat for a little while. It’s a pretty nice day out and the weather seems to be holding even though there’s dark clouds on the horizon. I chow down with a hot dog and a cheeseburger and help myself to many cookies from a platter. Oh, I love cookies.

Then the games start. I’m really not too fond of park games. I prefer the art of sitting down and talking with a few people while eating some delicious pastries instead of potato sack races. Unfortunately participation seemed to be mandatory. I couldn’t get out of it. What could I do? Sure, I didn’t work there, but I had just eaten their food and drank their sodas. It would be a pretty dick move if I didn’t at least humor them. The first competition was the egg toss. Monica and I paired up and we started throwing the egg back and forth. We were among the three final pairs but things didn’t work out when Monica dropped the egg and it cracked on the ground. No worries though. I can still hold my head up high knowing that I tried.

The next game was the egg run…or walk. I partnered with Monica again (really, who else would I team up with?) and we set off to not run, but walk quickly in a relay style while holding a spoon with an egg on it. There was some controversy over the finish which we were involved in. It seems that we tied for the win so a Sudden Death match was called with Monica and I up against another pair. We ran it home and took home the gold…or in this case a pair of $25 gift cards. Woo!

After a small break, the next game was a tug-of-war. Monica sat this one out and I joined a side which ended up being the winner. For a prize, I received a few scratch-off lotto tickets. This is shaping up to be a pretty good day.

Next up was the sack race. Yes, you read that correctly. A group of adults adorning burlap sacks and jumping around. Did I mention that alcohol was involved? This time there were two teams of five. Monica and I were joined by Ryan, and two other people who’s names I can’t remember. After the other team was disqualified and Monica stumbled a bit on the final jump (resulting in a run-in between her jeans and some goose poop), we each took home another $25 gift card.

Everyone rested a bit after this and just sat and talked. Just as another game was about to be started up, we notice a gigantic wedding party walking near the water. There had to be at least 20 people in this thing…and one of them was very drunk. This guy (whom we eventually learned was named Paul and whom may or may not be employed as a NYC police officer) entertained everyone. As the group walked by, we applauded because…well, I’m not really sure why. Paul took this time to showboat a little. He was blatantly loaded already and we didn’t help much when we invited him over for a beer. He gladly accepted and returned to the bridal party for some pictures. When the group finished a little, he came back and slurred some more with us. We offered him some cookies which he offered to the rest of the bridal party. There were no takers. Paul explained to us that he didn’t like his family and they were all mad at him. I can’t think of why that would be the case. He eventually left long after the rest of the bridal party did and he had a beer in hand. Good luck, Paul.

After another game of egg toss, which Monica and I were asked not to play (I think her co-workers believe I was raised by carny folk or something), we get going, taking home plenty of leftover cookies. We somehow manage to find our way back and after getting stuck in traffic briefly, we get back to the apartment just as the rain starts pouring down. It had held off until then, so we had a pretty good day at the park with Monica’s co-workers.

I play some GTA IV while Monica lays down and watches. She wasn’t feeling too well. Afterwards we relax and watch an episode of The Pretender, then Monica gets to sleep since she’s still not feeling too good. I mosey into the living room and finish up my comics for the week. I take Monica’s laptop with me and update the blog and check out a few things online. I finish up and then get to bed reading some Peace Like a River and getting to sleep around 11:30.

Be Sociable, Share!